How to Obtain a SETAF Driver's License
You can choose to take the orientation and test “in person” at the DTTS Office, or use the JKO U.S. Forces Driver’s Training Program for Europe online course. No switching between the two testing methods.
U.S Forces personnel, civilians and family members stationed or scheduled to deploy to Europe can take their certificate of license training and exam online at Joint Knowledge Online (JKO). Individuals with a Common Access Card (CAC) can login to JKO and create an account.
Non-CAC holders must request a sponsored account by signing up with JKO. Sponsored accounts must use the USERID and PASSWORD issued by JKO to access the system and take the exam.
- Go to JKO at https://jko.jten.mil enter, and log into JKO using whatever method best suits your situation. Dependents MUST login using their own account; NOT their sponsors CAC card or account. Select the “Course Catalog” tab. Type “Driver” in the “Title Key Word” field, then select the “Search” button. Enroll in USA-007 U.S. Forces Driver’s Training Program for Europe (2hrs)
- Go to JKO at https://jko.jten.mil and follow the same instructions as noted above for the Orientation module. Enroll in USA-007-B U.S. Forces Driver’s Training Program for Europe
** Final Course Exam (2hrs); which is valid for 60 days.
The DTTS office will ensure that you actually took, and passed, the test on JKO prior to issuing a license. The DTTS office cannot issue a SETAF/AFI license on the same day that you take the Final Course Exam. Falsified JKO certificates will result in a 90 day suspension of eligibility for a license.
***If you use the JKO U.S. Forces Driver's Training Program for the testing method, two certificates are required; pre-course and final exam certificates with a passing scores of 85% or higher on the final exam.
In- Person Testing:
Submit a request for a Driver Testing appointment to take the test at the DTTS Office. Testing in-processing begins at 0830
**Download, and study, the Drivers Testing Manual here.
Driver’s Orientation Training
Schedule an appointment for in-person Driver’s Orientation Training at: https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=19716708&calendarID=4198936
Or Online at: DVIDS - Video - Drivers Orientation (dvidshub.net)
**Personnel and dependents transferring directly from another European Command are not required to take the test; however they must complete Italy’s Driver’s Orientation Training.
- AEF 1901T (You can receive a copy at DTTS office and fill it out there)
- Your valid (unexpired) State or Country Driver License
- Your Military ID (Military ID, Dependent ID card, or CAC)
- A copy of your orders
- JKO Certificates; if exam taken online
How to Obtain a TMP/GOV License
- A complete GOV License Request
- A scanned copy of a memo from your supervisor or Unit Commander stating the need for a GOV license in order to complete the duties of your job.
- The memo must include "I have conducted a Commander's Interview IAW the provisions of AR 600-55 and find no concerns." (Required for Department of the Army Civilians GS-11 and below, Local National Employees, and Service Members E-5 and below.)
- A scanned copy of your Installation Pass and Italian “Patente” (Local National Employees ONLY)
- If you are requesting your NTV License between 15 November & 15 April, you must include a scanned copy of your completed Winter Driver’s Training Certificate, signed by:
- Department of the Army Civilians / Local National Employees: Your supervisor.
- Military: Your Unit’s Master Driver or a supervisor in the rank of E-7 or higher.
** Remember to bring the physical copies of you OF 346 (GOV License) and DA Form 348 when you come to the office to get your stamps.
How to Obtain an International or Italian Driver’s License:
International Driver’s License (American Automobile Association International Driver’s Permit):
** Complete steps at: https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html. ($20 Per Year)
Italian Driver’s License:
- Italian Driver’s License Request Form
- A scanned copy (Front & Back) of your current SETAF/AFI Driver License
- A scanned copy (Front & Back) of your Italian Codice Fiscale
- A scanned copy of your Passport (Tourist or Official)
**Bring your copies to the DTTS office for verification, final instructions and memo for ACI.
Note: Italian Driver’s License cost approx. 270 Euros, and is valid for 5 to 10 years (depending on your age).