Home : Logistics Readiness Centers : LRC-Italy : Drivers Testing - Italy

How to obtain a SETAF driver's license 

Step #1: Driver's Orientation

Personnel and dependents must complete a mandatory two-hour driver’s orientation course. The course provides an overview of driving laws in Italy, traffic patterns what to do in case of an accident and more. The course is held on the second floor of the Central Processing Facility and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Course Hours:

Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.

Step #2: Driver's Test 

Personnel and dependent must pass the driving exam unless transferring from another European command. Driving exams are held at the Central Processing Facility, and are first-come, first-served, although first-time testers have priority over those who are retaking the exam after failing. The test is a written exam covering traffic laws and signs. Get the Drivers Testing Manual here.

Test hours: All ID Card holders - Mon-Wed from 9:30-10:30 a.m. (sign-in begins as 8:30); Military only - Thursday from 9-10 a.m. (sign-in begins at 8 a.m.)

Obtaining a Motorcycle Endorsement:

To obtain a motorcycle endorsement to a U.S. Armed Forces in Italy certificate of license or be issued a motorcycle certificate of license, all Civilian personnel and Family members must have a motorcycle license or endorsement issued by a U.S. State or territory of the United States. 

All service members must have a motorcycle license or endorsement issued by a U.S. State or territory of the United States and a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) training card. The MSF BRC card does not expire. Additionally, Service Members must have either an Experienced Rider Course (ERC), a MSF BRC-II, Military Sport Bike Riders Course (MSRC) or a MSF Advanced Rider Course (ARC) card in order to receive their license. These advanced requirements for Service Members are valid for 5-years and the location of the training is immaterial to the issuance. All training cards presented to meet these requirements must be legible, unaltered in appearance, and its validity is subject to verification. Speak with the Driver's Testing center or the Garrison Safety Office for more details on the various courses and their offered locations.


Our Locations



Helpful Information

Outside of Italy

  • SETAF driver’s licenses are only valid in Italy and other NATO countries. However, not all NATO countries recognize SETAF licenses. If you plan to travel outside of Italy, you’ll need one of the following:

  • Apply once you arrive in Italy at the Driver’s License Office on the 2nd floor of the CPF building. Email completed form.

    Cost: 216€, valid for 10 years

  • If you’re overseas already, you must apply or renew your IDP by mail. For an application and mailing instructions, click here

    Cost: $20, renewed yearly